Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Day That Lives in Infamy

Today is the 7th of December. It has been 70 years since the infamous surprise attack on the American naval base at Pearl Harbor by the Japanese. I would like to take a moment to recognize and give thanks to all those men and women who lost their lives in that attack and those that served their country in the terrible war that followed. We owe them an infinite debt of gratitude for their sacrifices.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be honest, I had not remembered that today was the anniversary of the attack at Pearl Harbor until I happened upon a trivia banner while looking on Thesaurus.com for an alternate word for 'boredom' that started with an M. Given that I am sort of a WWII history nut, I feel rather embarrassed about forgetting the importance of this date. In my defense, however, I will state that I often get December 7th and December 17th mixed up. Both are anniversaries, but while one being the anniversary of an attack, the other is the anniversary of my parents' wedding. Also, I'm horrid at time-keeping. But enough excuses... :P

In other news, I have officially finished all (both) of my classes for this semester! The only thing I have left to do is a short paper for Philosophy, and then I'm done with it forever.

I'm pretty excited for this weekend. I have a couple of choir-related performances in Church with the ward choir, but more importantly, I have a date on Friday. :D

I normally don't give myself props for much, but I really do have to admit that I'm proud of myself insofar as my dating and social life are concerned. The last time I went on a date of any kind was to Senior Prom in High School, and before that, a performance of Brigadoon by the Liberty High School theatre group back in Missouri. And those were of the sort of 'practice dates' that we Mormons do when we are in our teens. Anyway, my point is that it's been a very long time since I've been on a bona fide date of any sort until only recently. I spent three, maybe four years hiding in my room either at home, in my apartment while I was at New Mexico Tech, or elsewhere. (And it wasn't just due to my natural reclusivity, but that's another story.) And now, in the space of five weeks, I've suddenly begun *doing* stuff again, *with other people!!!* If that's not a reason for me to be proud of myself, then nothing is.

(As an aside, while I give credit to the cast and crew involved in that production of Brigadoon I mentioned a moment ago for their skill and dedication, I can't help but mention that the story itself is absolutely awful... There was way too much time spent dancing around like ninnies for the amount of actual story material in the show. Like, seriously. Waaaay too much.)

So, yeah. I'm happy, excited and looking forward to the weekend. For those of you that don't know me that well, be aware: This is something that is highly, highly unusual for me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment